Yandex is a well-known alternative to Google, Yahoo, etc overseas but only just now starting to trend within the US. I’ve had an email account with Yandex for over 5 years now, so I feel I am in a good position to give you an unbiased review.
As an alternative to Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL, and so on, Yandex in my opinion knocks these guys out of the water. Yandex is a Russian company which offers a free email account. It actually does more than email (search engine, maps, etc) but done separately, without that spammy look that Yahoo and Hotmail have.
Today I’m just reviewing the email part of Yandex, because that’s the only part of it I use. I have to say that I love the clear, clean look of Yandex email. Also the cute background I picked is great (your friends will envy it if you show them – I’ll show you below) – makes checking my email a bit of a bright spot in my day.
Features of Yandex email
- Free. Free is always good!
- No ads anywhere – on the page or within the email content. 100% ad-free
- Clean-cut, non-spammy look
- Goes straight to your inbox after sign-in – not faced with ads, articles etc that you get on Yahoo
- Security features and info easily rival that of Google. Not only can it inform me of my previous logins (like Google), but it can also tell me which messages I viewed during that time (which Google doesn’t do)! Also, after going a period of many months between logins, it put me through a captcha on my next login as an additional layer of protection. (The captcha went away automatically on subsequent successful logins after this one.)
- Automatic spam filters, much like Google.
- Ability to automatically organize back-and-forth messages into conversations for you, much like Google but done slightly differently. Either way, your inbox won’t blow up when you’re getting a bunch of replies to a message from the same people.
- Good choice of skins, some which are a lot of fun. On mine I have a plain inbox on a background of cute little cartoon bears, where the background picture changes based on the time of day! Yes, in the morning, my “inbox bears” are just starting to wake up. In the afternoon, they’re playing outside (different pics at different parts of the afternoon). In the evening, they’re getting ready for bed. Who could not love that?!
- Smartphone alerts. You also have the option of putting Yandex on your smartphone and get alerts there, much like you would with Gmail. The Yandex app is in the Play Store and the Apple Store. I don’t use this feature of Yandex myself so I can’t review that aspect of it, but it’s certainly a valuable option to have. I can see it being useful for people doing time-dependent hobby-business stuff, like selling stuff on Etsy, who might want a dedicated account purely for that. They’d know that an alert from there means a customer.
Fun background images
Here's something you won't find with Google: fun backgrounds. My inbox has these fun bears in the background, whose activity changes based on the time of day:
If you’re looking for a good new secondary email account, I highly recommend Yandex because of its clean, no-mess no-fuss design and its robust security features.