If you’re looking for a simple hors d’oeuvres or appetizer recipe guaranteed to impress your guests, then these Ham and Pastry Bites are ideal.
With only two ingredients and easy assembly, you’ll find that this recipe will quickly become a great addition to any appetizer or finger food menu. Also, this is a very host-friendly recipe: it can be put together without requiring any thought or concentration and is not at all messy to prepare. Guests are certain to gravitate to these mouth-watering morsels no matter what else you have on offer.
These Ham and Pastry Bites are ideal when served hot, although taste just fine at room temperature too. When planning any finger food or hors d’oeuvres menu you will always want at least one hot food, so make this one your pick. Why do you always need a hot food? Because you will quickly run out of storage space in the fridge if you are only serving cold hors d’oeuvres at your party. If you’d like to make these ahead of time – an hour or two before the party starts – simply follow the make-ahead directions below the recipe.
- Very tasty; guests will be impressed
- No thought required to put these together
- Only 2 ingredients required, neither of which occupies much storage space
- These bites may be served in any way desired: laid flat in individual arrays or simply all piled up on a serving plate (unlike for example topped crackers which can only be set out individually).
- Can be prepared up to 2 hours ahead of time. Make-ahead instructions are shown below recipe.
- Easy clean-up; does not mess up your oven trays.
- Instant visual appeal to everyone, including picky eaters and children who may be hesitant to try some of the more exotic-looking fare at hors d’oeuvres functions.
Optional make-ahead instructions
If desired, make up to 2 hours ahead as follows. Prepare and cook the Ham & Pastry Bites as instructed. Remove from oven but leave on the cook trays. Turn off oven and close door. About 10 minutes before serving, put the trays of cooked Ham & Pastry Bites back in the oven for 3 – 5 minutes to warm up. If oven cooled completely then turn it to low heat before putting in the bites.